Rootstock Programming Course
We are excited to offer the first fully featured Rootstock Programming Course.
On November 23rd, 2016, the Rootstock Project released “Tumeric”, a test network for developers to deploy smart contracts onto the bitcoin network.
The Tumeric network is an early release of a smart contract platform built ontop of the bitcoin blockchain that enthusiasts have been raving about since Rootstock first announced the project.
Although Rootstock is still an experimental technology, one of the reasons programmers are so anxious to begin developing on its platform is that it borrows the innovation of Ethereum (Solidity scripting language and a virtual machine) and combines it with the original bitcoin blockchain, adding substantial foundational security – arguably one of the reasons developers are hesitant to go “all-in” on Ethereum.
Core features of the Rootstock technology stack include:
- smart contracts – a turing-complete scripting language allows decentralized applications to be programmed on the Rootstock network.
- 2-way peg to bitcoin – Inherits the security and hashing power of bitcoin by using a cryptographic peg to the original blockchain.
- Merge mining – block issuance through merged mining with bitcoin.
- Rootstock Network – focused on high volume/low latency payments
Essentially, what the Rootstock network allows is smart contracts to be programmed to the original bitcoin blockchain via a cryptographic 2-way peg.
This unique approach allows the Rootstock Project a number of advantages:
- Inherits approximately 5 petahashes of collective network security from the bitcoin blockchain via a merged mining integration.
- 2-way peg enabling asset transfers to and from the bitcoin network.
- A set of software plugins to allow merged mining of both the Rootstock and bitcoin network.
- Scalability potential to 100 transactions per second using probabalistic verification, fraud proofs, and blockchain sharding.
As Rootstock continues to deliver on smart contracts native to the bitcoin network – we will see a new wave of internet applications come online. Bitcoin will become a platform for much more than speculating and managing money without a third party. These applications built with Rootstock will be characterized by the removal of trusted third parties and experimentation with entirely new business models enabled by micropayments and automously-enforced contracts.
Bitcoin vs Rootstock Network Parameters
|Block Confirmation Time||10 minutes||10 seconds|
|Reversal Probability Of 0.1%||20 minutes||30 seconds|
|Max Transactions Per Second||3.3 Tps||Scalable to 10,000 Tps|
|Average Transaction Fee||1 cent|
If Rootstock has proven anything with their continuation of what Ethereum has done in terms of innovation, it is that the future of bitcoin and blockchain technology lies in the power of the smart contract.
Such a platform will change the way we do business on a global level and usher in a period of disintermediation. In the long run, these types of technologies will be beneficial for the average person and incredibly lucrative for their inventors.
What we will do in this course, is guide smart contract developers as they get up and running with Rootstock technologies and deploying smart contracts.
Although many of the programmers who enroll in this course will already be familiar with Ethereum, these individuals will want to familiarize themselves with the novelties of what Rootstock introduces.
The course lessons will generally focus on the following:
- Deploying a contract on the Rootstock network.
- Programming smart contracts with Rootstock Solidity language.
- Operation of merged mining and the 2-way peg.
- Inter-blockchain asset transfers and “Rootcoin”.
- Key performance differences between bitcoin and Rootstock blockchain.
- Advantages & disadvantages of using Rootstock over a standalone blockchain.
As a student, you will have access to course resources anywhere, anytime, and for as long as Rootstock technology remains relevant.
For those who have already completed a course with Diginomics, you are fully aware of how our courses operate:
- Course lessons delivered as video presentations and programming tutorials.
- Dedicated discussion channel where students can share questions and get support.
- Timed examination of core concepts at regular intervals throughout the course.
- Certified accreditation of completion to students who earn a passing grade on the final examination (70%), accreditation is them embedded into the bitcoin blockchain where it serves as your unforgeable proof of expertise.
- Opportunity to engage with bitcoin & blockchain industry firms who are actively hiring professionals in this industry.
- Immediate access to all current and future course materials for as long as Rootstock technology remains relevant.
Course lessons will combine video presentations and coding tutorials delivered by multiple instructors. Once enrolled, students have access to a private discussion channel where they may pose questions and share progress in a group learning environment.
What kind of return will you get on your investment when you're one of the first people in the world to be programming smart contract applications on the bitcoin network?
If you are interested in reserving your spot for this course, you can do so immediately.
As the Rootstock Project moves away from the current test network and releases their production network dubbed “Ginger”, this course will equip a cohort of programmers with the tools and knowledge necessary to create the first applications with the bitcoin blockchain at their foundation.